where are the pretty pictures?

blogger profile

Subscribe with Bloglines
Blogwise - blog directory

write me: takeoffsandlandings AT hotmail dot com

now playing in my itunes:
audioscrobbler

mirror project photos:
#1
#2

fotologs:
1000 easy steps
sallytomato on flickr




join the email update list:


powered by NotifyList.com


find stuff:

search google
search sallytomato


8.28.2003 | link |

 

"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware."
- henry miller


i placed my small basket-full of items on the checkout conveyor belt. whole wheat flour, feta cheese, and pasta for dinner later. also among my findings was a small, square greeting card with a simple quote from henry miller. i could have easily scrawled the quotation on a bank receipt crumpled at the bottom of my bag. but i'd resisted my usual talking-myself-out-of the unnecessary purchase. it had moved me. filled me with a rush of joy for being alive. it perched itself inside my chest and fluttered about a bit.

the 20-something wild oats checkout guy didn't say hello. he just started scanning, disinterested. then he picked up the card, flipped it over and read it while i waited and watched his expression. he let out a snort. a bored, unsmiling laugh and said: "funny."

i didn't get it. miller's words had fluttered for me. was i being overly dramatic? over romanticizing? taking myself too seriously? was it ironic? was i not sophisticated enough to get it?

so i replied: "um. funny?"

he looked up at me for the first time to answer, slightly frowning with "you-idiot" undertones: "yes. funny."

i suppose i could have gone on with my day. but i continued softly, "i'm sorry, but i'm genuinely curious...what do you find funny about it?"

he paused. i suspected he didn't know either. or he couldn't possibly get himself to care. i almost felt bad for making him talk to me.

"because..." he answered coolly, tilting his head to one side as if his patience was being tested by a difficult child, "henry miller was such a peculiar writer...and they used such a peculiar font for that quote." he handed me my card, and my change.

i looked at the card with uneven letters, then up at his joyless face. "ha. i see. i must have missed that."

but he was already scanning the next customer's items. he didn't thank me or suggest to me that i should have a nice day. i didn't reply "you, too." i simply walked away, wishing i didn't care. joylessly, soberly aware.


comments: 0


***






let bygones be bygones.


friends, gods, strangers

don't look now, but

listen,

nightstand clutter
bust magazine

furthermore,
thanks squidfingers
for the pattern!

all original writing, photos,
and content on this site is:
©2002-2005 armeen y.



Creative Commons License
this work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License


wlh
























thank you. and good night.